With the PebblePad tool now added and configured to your Brightspace installation from the previous stages, this guide covers the end-to-end process to test the core functionality of LTI.
- Single Sign-On (from Brightspace to PebblePad)
- Enrolment Synchronisation
- Grade Synchronisation
- Direct linking (from Brightspace course to PebblePad resource)
- 1: Add Assignment Link
- 2: Create ATLAS workspace
- 3: Login as a Student
- 4: Submit a student assignment
- 5: Login as a Teacher
- 6: Grade submission
- 7: Direct Link to a PebblePad Resource
Prerequisites 1. A new Brightspace course 2. Test accounts enrolled as teachers and students 3. PebblePad Global Administrator permissions
Test single sign-on and enrolment synchronisation
- Select the course's Content section from the main menu,
- Within a section, select the Existing Activities button
- From the dropdown, select External Learning Tools
- In the pop-up modal, choose PebblePad Assignment option
- A new content item will be added to the Brightspace page
- Select the assignment title to open the ATLAS set-up wizard.
- The ATLAS workspace title will be match the Brightspace course.
- Set to Active mode.
- The Members and Managers tabs will confirm which accounts will be added to the workspace.
- Select the Finish button.
- Select the Members tab from the sub menu, and (User Group Synchronised) tab to view synchronised student accounts
- Select the Managers tab to view synchronised instructor and student accounts
Confirm usernames pass correctly between Brightspace and PebblePad. Course enrolments will be transferred as below:
|BRIGHTSPACE ROLE||LTI ROLE||ATLAS ROLE|
|Teaching Assistant||Teaching Assistant||Tutor|
|Advisor||No matching role||N/A|
|Anonymous Grader||No matching role||N/A|
For more, see the guide: Adjusted Role Mappings
Test grade synchronisation
Login to the test student account to check the assignment is linked correctly to the Brightspace course.
- From the Brightspace course, select the assignment link (as created above)
The assignment link uses role recognition with student accounts directed to Pebble+ when the button is selected.
To test the grade synchronisation from the ATLAS workspace back to the Brightspace course, it's necessary to submit a student assignment to ATLAS for it to be graded.
- From the Pebble+ dashboard, go to Get Creative
- Choose Page
- From the Add Content button, drag a Text box onto the page
- Add [holding] text
- Select the Save button and give the page a title
- Choose Assets from the Pebble+ dashboard
- Select the i icon of the Asset to submit for grading*
- Select the I want to... button and choose Share
- From the pop-up modal, choose With ATLAS
- Follow the options to choose the correct workspace
- Finish by selecting the share asset button
- Scroll down the sidebar to see confirmation the asset has been shared.
To finish testing the grade synchronisation from the ATLAS workspace back to the Brightspace course, login as a Teacher:
- Access the Brightspace course
- Go to the Assignment link
The assignment link uses role recognition with teacher accounts directed to the ATLAS workspace when the button is selected.
Open the submission submitted in step 4 and give it a grade.
- Select the Submission option
- Select the title of the submission to open in the ATLAS Submission Viewer (a new tab window)
- In the feedback sidebar, select the I want to... button
- Choose Add Grade from the list
- Add a (numeric) grade into the text area
- Select the Save & Release button - confirmation will appear beneath once saved.
- Return to Moodle and navigate to the course's Grades
- The grade will be passed into the grade book column for the associated student
Grades recalled or deleted in ATLAS will not recall or delete the grade in Brightspace.
Test direct resource linking
- Navigate to the course's Content, and to within the required section
- Select the Existing Activities button from the sub menu
- From the dropdown, scroll and choose Resource Linking Tool
- Your PebblePad Resource Store will be displayed in the modal window
- Scroll to select the desired template
- Once selected, you'll be returned to the Brightspace page.
- Select the template link to open the resource in PebblePad.
This confirms direct linking to PebblePad resources from a Brightspace course is tested and working.
This completes the end-to-end test of your Brightspace to PebblePad LTI integration.