[See below for a non-techie overview of the PebblePad API functionality]
PebblePad version 1902 introduces a new GraphQL based version 2.0 API to provide customers access to user account information for integration in organisational account management systems.
GraphQL provides a standardised method of interacting with APIs which allows the client to specify what data it needs in a single query rather than having to combine results from multiple endpoints. It also allows for much more expressive queries than can be easily provided via a REST API, this allow any combination of filters to be applied as required without needing any changes to the API.
The new API provides the same basic user information previously available in the v1.0 API, including the name, email, username and associated ids. Beyond this, additional statistics relating to the usage of the account are available to assist in making decisions about account housekeeping tasks, these include:
- Alumni account created?
- Date the account was marked as dormant (if dormant)
- Date the account was marked for deletion (if marked for deletion)
- Date the account became active
- Date the account was created
- Last login date
- Number of logins
- Expiry date of the account (if set)
- Total size of files uploaded by user
- Number of assets created by user
- Number of assets shared by user
- Number of comments left
- Number of files uploaded
- Number of assets submitted to ATLAS
For the not so technical
- What is an API:
API stands for Application Programming Interface. An API is a software intermediary that allows two applications to talk to each other. In other words, an API is the messenger that delivers your request to the provider that you're requesting it from and then delivers the response back to you.
- What can the PebblePad API be used for:
The PebblePad API provides methods for interacting with user accounts. It allows customers to draw information about user accounts in PebblePad and match this with information in institution systems. Certain actions can then be performed on PebblePad accounts based on the combined information. For example, the API could be used to generate a list of all active users in PebblePad, compare this with a list of students about to graduate generated by the Student Management System, and then 'Make Alumni' accounts for all those active users who are about to graduate.
- What additional functionality does the GraphQL version introduce:
GraphQL is a query language for APIs. It allows clients to specify exactly what information they want to receive. With the PebblePad API customers can now access a variety of statistics about user accounts that can help to inform decisions around account management.
- General hints and tips about Managing Accounts is available in the For Administrators section of the Online PebblePad Help [NOTE: You need to be logged into PebblePad and have Administrator permissions to access this section]
- Current PebblePad API documentation [the GraphQL pdf below also links to this]
- Previous version of API documentation that includes ALL pre version 1.5 endpoints.